Sprint Cup Race Update
The complexion of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Four is halfway put together now that Carl Edwards took a rain-shortened victory on Sunday night at Texas Motor Speedway.
The Joe Gibbs Racing veteran earned his third victory of the season by leading when weather moved in shortly before 11 p.m. local time in the Lone Star State. But more importantly, the achievement allowed him to join Jimmie Johnson as the second contender in the Sprint Cup Championship Race in two weeks at Homestead Miami Speedway. Two other drivers will join them by either a victory next week at Phoenix International Raceway or their championship points by the drop of the checkered flag.
Here are the standings after Texas.
1. Jimmie Johnson, Hendrick Motorsports, 4, 074
2. Joey Logano, Team Penske, 4, 074
3. Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs Racing, 4, 074
4. Matt Kenseth, Joe Gibbs Racing, 4, 073
5. Denny Hamlin, Joe Gibbs Racing, 4, 072
6. Kevin Harvick, Stewart Haas Racing, 4, 056