Charlotte Speedway Dirt Track
CONCORD, N.C. — Aug. 3, 2016 — The World Short Track Championships, an all-new, three-day event featuring the best weekly racers from throughout the United States, was announced today by DIRTcar Racing. The event, hosted at the Dirt Track at Charlotte (N.C.), Thursday, Oct. 20 to Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016, will put on the center stage nine divisions in pursuit of a purse in excess of $120, 000
The mega event takes place the weekend before the Bad Boy Off Road World of Outlaws World Finals, creating two-weeks of can’t miss, season-ending action featuring all of dirt racing’s top drivers, series and divisions.
“The World Short Track Championships is sure to be ‘lots of laps’ and ‘lots of fun’ giving weekly drivers from 9 different divisions the chance to stand on the big stage at Charlotte, ” said World Racing Group CEO Brian Carter. “This massive event will make Charlotte the epi-center of dirt track racing in the United States and bring the best and brightest from around the country together for two incredible weeks.”
Participating divisions at the World Short Track Championships are:
- DIRTcar/SECA Pro Late Models – A full-bodied late model with a Chevrolet Performance 604 engine
- DIRTcar UMP Modified – Open wheeled modifieds as raced in all of North America
- DIRTcar Sportsman Modifieds – Northeast open-wheel modified with center steer Northeast modified body style with Chevrolet Performance 602 engines
- DIRTcar/SECA Pro Modifieds – Open wheel Modifieds with a Chevrolet Performance 602 engine.
- 360 Sprint Cars –Winged Sprint cars with 360 cubic inch engines
- DIRTcar Pro-Sprints – Winged sprint cars with Chevrolet Performance 602 engines
- SECA Crate Sportsman – Full-bodied American stock car with Chevrolet Performance 602 engine
- MMSA Mini-Stocks – Monster Mini Stock Association 4-cylinder stock cars
- FWD/Hornets – Front wheel drive sports compacts modified for dirt track racing
Each entry will receive a free pit camping permit in the pit area for the entire weekend and an invitation to the Friday night bonfire worthy of a true homecoming. Competitor registration for the World Short Track Championships opens on Thursday, Oct. 20 at noon.
“Nowhere else in the World can you see this many dirt racing divisions housed at one track for such a huge weekend, ” said DIRTcar Racing Director of Series and Sanctioning Sam Driggers. “We are excited to be able showcase everything from late models to 4 cylinders, winged sprint cars to Northeast Sportsman Modifieds at the Charlotte Dirt Track “
Thursday’s slate of events will feature a four-hour open practice with rotating divisions. On Friday, there will be qualifying events for all divisions with six of the nine divisions running all-star invitational features. Saturday though will be unlike any other event in the country, with all nine divisions competing for an inaugural World Short Track Championship victory.
About World Racing Group
World Racing Group, Inc., a sports entertainment company, is a world leader in the sanctioning and promotion of dirt track auto racing. WRG, based in Concord, N.C., owns and operates the three highest profile national touring series for dirt track racing in the United States: The World of Outlaws® Craftsman® Sprint Car Series; The World of Outlaws Craftsman Late Model Series(SM); and The Super DIRTcar Series™ Big-Block Modified Series. World Racing Group sanctions more than 4, 900 local and regional dirt track racing events in the United States and Canada at 126 tracks each year under the DIRTcar™ Racing brand. To learn more about World Racing Group, visit WorldRacingGroup.com