Daytona Antique Auto Racing Association
It’s quickly becoming a “can’t miss” event for fans and drivers who love nostalgia. The Southern Vintage Race Car Nationals took place March 17-19 at Dillon Motor Speedway and welcomed some truly beautiful-looking throwback machines.
Among the Vintage racing groups represented were the Southern Ground Pounders, Carolina Vintage, Bell and Bell, Palmetto Vintage Racers, East Coast Flathead Fords, South Carolina Dirt Cars, and the Daytona Antique Automobile Racing Association. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate on the scheduled Saturday, but a large contingent of racers came back together on Sunday for a day full of racing.
The big winners of the weekend were:
- Jeff Melton in his ’66 Mustang (Southern Ground Pounders and National Sportsman)
- Jay Royal in a ’41 Packard (SGP Modifieds)
- Bob Reavis was in a ’38 Ford (Flathead Fords)
- Kenneth Deese in his ’68 Nova (Palmetto Vintage Racers)
- Susan Kimmel ’66 Falcon (Carolina Vintage)